Last month I had the honor to represent PPG, makers of OLYMPIC® Paints & Stains , GLIDDEN® Paint, the LIQUID NAILS® brand and the PPG PAINTS™ brand, at the Paint Tips & Sips media event in New York City. It was an invite-only event for media representatives. This gave me the opportunity to talk one-on-one with several magazine reps. I wish you could have been there, but if you read to the end of this post we have a special giveaway for you!
Additional PPG representatives set up tables with information about color trends, including Violet Verbena the color of the year.
Plus, I was introduced to more PPG products for home renovations and improvements. I discovered some innovative HOMAX® products that will definitely come in handy when I find a flip house:
- Homax Tough As Tile® Tub & Sink Refinishing Kit Epoxy Finish has a spray tip for easier application, improved whiteness, faster drying time and superior flow and level for a beautiful finished result.
- The Homax Brand Pro Grade Wall Texture with Dual Control™ technology has adjustable pattern and pressure features. Plus, ultra-fast dry results with an advanced lower odor.
The Homax products are available at The Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, Menards, PPG Paints stores and independent retailers.
Can I just say how cute this paint chip dress is? If I were back in high school I’d love to make my own prom dress. So fun!
I gave a little demonstration on painting and building a half round wood and copper table using Liquid Nails FUZE*IT®. FUZE*IT® All Surface Construction Adhesive has two times the strength of fasteners alone and bonds nearly all materials in any weather conditions. It’s available at a variety of home improvement retailers
You may recall my tutorial to build the half round wood & copper side table. It was the same table with a twist!
The twist was being able to experiment with different styles for the table top. (More on how I created the tops later.)
If you’ve ever been present at one of my demonstrations, you probably got your hands dirty. This event was no different. I enjoyed making the ladies use the caulk gun to help assemble the copper pipe legs. Nothing beats hands on learning. 😉
I decided it would be fun to make four different table tops to show how this little copper pipe table can fit with any decorating style. From the urban cowboy to the trendy tween—I found a look for each one. To customize each table, I experimented with paint techniques using PPG paint color trends:PPG paint color trends: Olympic ONE® in Honey Bunny OL654.3, Glidden DIAMOND™ in Portuguese Blue, and PPG Paints BREAK-THROUGH!® paint in Violet Verbena PPG1169-5.
Ready to see the finished tables? You will be amazed by the different styles!
This sophisticated floral table features PPG Paints Break-Through! paint in Violet Verbena PPG1169-5:
To re-create the look, you’ll need:
- SEAL GRIP® Acylic Universal Primer/Sealer by the PPG Paints brand
- PPG Paints Break-Through! paint in Violet Verbena PPG1169-5
- A mixture of the PPG Paints brand’s Violet Verbena PPG1169-5 and White (1:1 mixture)
- Paint roller
- Small Paint Brush
Paint the table top with the Seal Grip Primer. Let dry. Paint two coats of PPG Paint in Violet Verbena. Let dry. This won’t take long because PPG Breakthrough Paint dries to the touch much faster than other latex paints. The Breakthrough paint also has flexibility to resist cracking and peeling.
Draw a floral design with chalk. Paint in the design with the lightened version of Violet Verbena. Let dry and touch up any areas that might need more paint. No need to seal this table top. The Breakthrough paint will resist water and anything life can dish out.
This striped beauty features Olympic ONE in Honey Bunny OL654.3:
I love the warm neutral color of Honey Bunny and how it blends nicely with raw wood. To recreate this table you’ll need:
- Olympic ONE in Honey Bunny OL654.3
- 1 ½” Painter’s Tape
- 1″ Flat brush
- DEFT® Polyurethane Interior Water Based Acylic by the PPG Paints brand
Measure and mark 1 ½” increments along the straight edge of the table top. Tape off every other section using the painter’s tape. To seal the edges of the painter’s tape, press firmly along the edges with your finger. Then dip your paint brush in Olympic One paint and lightly paint along the edge of the tape (use very little paint for this step.) Let the paint dry a few minutes. Fill in the remainder of the stripes with paint.
After the stripes dry, coat the entire table top with Deft Interior Polyurethane Water Based Acrylic. This will seal the raw wood stripes. If you painted the entire top with Olympic One, no Deft Polyurethane is needed.
This is a quick project because you don’t need to use a primer when you paint with Olympic One paint. Also, the primer would show on the edges of the stripes.
This minimalist blue stained table was created using Glidden Diamond in Portuguese Blue:
The blue color-washed table was achieved using a 1:1 watered down version of Glidden Diamond in Portuguese Blue. To re-create this look, you’ll need:
- Glidden Diamond Paint in Portuguese Blue
- 2″ Paint Brush
- Dry Rag
- Deft Interior Polyurethane Water Based Acrylic
Brush the Glidden Diamond Paint onto the table top (brush strokes should go with the grain.) Immediately wipe the excess off with a dry rag. After the paint dries, seal the table top with Deft Interior Polyurethane Water Based Acrylic. Because the paint was watered down, it’s advisable to use a polyurethane to completely protect the table top. With a full coat of Glidden Diamond, no primer or sealer is needed. The paint sticks perfectly to raw wood.
I created the geometric table top by using a hexagon stencil I made on my Cricut vinyl cutter. If you don’t have a vinyl cutter at your disposal, you can purchase a hexagon stencil here.
To re-create this tabletop, you’ll need:
- Seal Grip Acrylic Universal Primer/Sealer by the PPG Paints brand
- PPG Paints Break-Through! in White (not tinted)
- PPG Paints Break-Through! in Violet Verbena PPG1169-5
- PPG Paints Break-Through! in a mixture of Violet Verbena PPG1169-5 and White (1:1 mixture)
- Glidden Diamond paint in Tropical Surf 30BG 72/069
- Mixture of Glidden Diamond in Tropical Surf 30BG 72/069 and PPG Paints Break-Through! in White (1:1 mixture)
- Stencil brush or stencil sponge
- Hexagon stencil
Apply one coat of PPG Seal Grip Acrylic Primer/Sealer. After the primer dries, paint 1 coat of white paint onto the table top. Let dry. Position the stencil onto the table top. Use a stencil brush (or sponge) to pounce one color randomly into several hexagons. When finished with one color, you should be able to start right away using the next color even if it is next to a painted hexagon. That’s the beauty of the PPG Breakthrough paint. It dries to the touch much faster than other latex paints. Plus, it has a flexible finish that will resist cracking or peeling. Continue filling in hexagons until you’ve filled them all in. Carefully remove the stencil and touch up any mistakes with a small brush. No need to add a protective polyurethane. The PPG Breakthrough paint will resist water, scratches and abusive children.
Here’s a little more information about the paints I used:
PPG PAINTS™ are available at over 600 PPG Paints stores and thousands of independent retailers
- The PPG Paints brand introduced the next generation of the <50 grams per liter volatile organic compound (VOC) version of BREAK-THROUGH!® interior and exterior water-borne acrylic paint earlier this year. Break-Through! paint offers a unique and versatile technology that provides excellent adhesion, hardness and block resistance to a variety of residential and commercial surfaces.
OLYMPIC® Paints & Stains – Available at Lowe’s Home Improvement stores
- Olympic ONE® Interior and Exterior Paints are engineered for ultimate performance and durability. The high-quality paint and primer in ONE offers easy application, a variety of gorgeous color options and a durable finish that’s easy to keep beautiful.
GLIDDEN® Paint – Available at THE HOME DEPOT®, WALMART® and independent retailers
- In July 2016, GLIDDEN DIAMOND™ paint launched exclusively at The Home Depot. A 100 percent acrylic paint + primer, it provides a smooth, beautiful finish with diamond-tough durability that withstands daily wear and tear.
Do you have a favorite table? Let me know in the comment below because PPG and I decided it would be fun to giveaway these tables to a few of my readers! You have until Monday, December 12th to enter to win one of these fun tables! (See terms and conditions below.)
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post for PPG. I was provided with complimentary travel and airfare to attend the event. I was also compensated for my time. All opinions are my own.
Terms & Conditions: Winners will be selected randomly. Entries must be received by Sunday, December 11th, 2016 at 11:59pm EST. Contest open to Continental US residents only. Must be an adult aged 18 and older. Winner will be notified by Wednesday, December14th via email. Winner must reply to email within 2 days of receiving the notice. Please be sure you have PrettyHandyGirl@gmail.com as an acceptable email address.
Prizes will be fulfilled by PPG. Pretty Handy Girl cannot be held responsible for prizes that are lost or damaged en route.