Last month I shared an easy way to make faux flowers look real. It’s a simple way to add life and color to your decor. Today we’re going to make a vase for all of those flowers!
You can make containers or vases using a multitude of items. We’ll be using decorative sheet metal and spray paint to hold a faux palm leaf for a beautiful green arrangement. You can add your own creative touch to this quick project with your favorite colors and stems.
Let’s get creative, shall we?
- Decorative aluminum sheet
- Tin snips
- Heavy work gloves
- Eye protection
- Spray paint (optional)
- 19 gauge wire
- Wire cutters
- Glass vase
- Stems of fake flowers
The glass vase and bamboo sticks are from the dollar store. The palm leaf was purchased at a craft store. The rest of the supplies can be purchased at your local home improvement store.
1. Get a piece of decorative sheet metal from the home improvement store. Wearing work gloves and using the tin snips, cut the sheet to a size that will roll around a glass vase with at least a one inch overlap.
(I spray painted my piece in copper for a different look. If you paint it, you only have to paint one side.)
2. Create a tube with the aluminum so the long ends overlap. Cut 3 small pieces of wire of equal length and bend them in half. Make sure you wear eye protection during this step.
3. Roll your aluminum sheet into a column to fit around your glass vase (making sure the ends overlap.) Once in this shape, insert both ends of a piece of wire through the holes in the overlapped section of aluminum sheet. Repeat with the remaining two pieces of wire. Twist the wire together to hold the sheet metal in place.
4. Twist the wire a few times around itself and trim off the excess with wire cutters. Notice the arrows where the wire is below.
Now your aluminum sheet “vase” will stay in its round shape and you can slip it over a glass vase. Add your greenery and faux flowers.
For this arrangement I used bamboo sticks and a large palm leaf from the craft store. Greenery adds life to any space. Every room should have some flowers or leaves to liven things up.
When using a glass vase inside the aluminum sheet you can add water and real flowers if you like.
Want more tips on arranging faux flowers?
Have fun with your new flowers and see you at Decor Adventures soon.