- Screwdrivers – Phillips head and a flat (straight or slotted) head. Try to buy a small and medium size of each.
- Allen (Hex) Wrenches in several sizes
- Adjustable Crescent Wrenches – I suggest buying at least two. One 6″ and one 10″
- Slip Joint Pliers (handy for overall gripping)
- Needle-nosed pliers
- Vice grips (Locking pliers)
- Tape Measure
- Level – 24″ is preferrable
- Utility knife (mat knife)
- Safety glasses
- 12″ Handsaw
- Stud Finder
- Pry bar (must have a flat sharp side and the other side a notch for pulling nails.)
- Tool box or case to keep all of the above in
- My favorite DIY guide to my home: Home Depot’s Home Improvement 1-2-3 – the best $15 I ever spent!
Last but not least, the most indispensable tool I’ve ever owned:
Cordless Drill with screwdriver bits and a small set of drill bits
- Wiring instruction book or guide
- Wire Cutters/Strippers
- Electrical Current tester
- You only need the simple tester with two probes and an indicator light to test if the power is on.
- Palm sander
- Carpenter’s square
- Staple gun
- Power Circular Saw
- Be sure to hold one in the store and feel how the grip feels in your hand. This is especially important as a woman with a smaller hand size. (more on power tool shopping in another blog post – coming soon!)
- Jig Saw
- Saw Horses or Folding Work Bench
- Clamps – A Variety of Adjustable Clamps and Clips
If any competitor tries, we’ll beat their price by 10%. Guaranteed.*
*If you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any retailer, we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Excludes special orders, bid pricing, volume discounts, open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases.
If you find a lower price on an identical branded item with the same features (in Home Electronics identical brand and model number) currently available for sale at another local competitor retail store, Sears will match that price plus, give you 10% of the difference. Just bring in the original advertisement to a sales associate at the time of, or within 14 days after, your purchase. More fine print…