A friend gave me some magazines the other day and she put them all in a new yellow pine wine crate. I was overjoyed when she said I could keep the crate. I immediately had visions of staining it to create a rustic display box for magazines or other décor items.
- Wine crate or wooden box
- Dark brown stain
- Paint Brush
- Paper towels
- Damp rag
- Rubber gloves
- Medium Grit (100 grit) sandpaper
- Sisal Rope
- Drill w/ bits
1. Start by cleaning off your crate with a damp rag. Then brush the stain on and let it sit for a minute.
2. Wipe the stain off with paper towels.
Add a second coat if you want your crate darker. Allow it to dry thoroughly. It might take several hours or overnight.
3. Sand any words and printing on your crate until you start to see some of the wood coming through. Be careful not to sand too deep and expose the bare wood.
4. Wipe off the crate. Mark the location you want your handle to be on the sides of the crate. Be sure to measure the same distances from the top and edges on both sides.
5. Choose a drill bit slightly larger than your rope. Drill holes at your marks.
6. Insert one side of the rope through the hole.
7. Tie a double knot inside the crate to keep the rope from slipping back through.
8. Determine how long a rope handle you want and tie a single knot in the middle of the handle.
9. Feed the other end of your rope through the other hole and tie another double knot on the inside of the crate.
10. Fray the edges of your rope by untwisting them.
11. Fill your crate with magazines, blankets, or décor goodies and display it!
Easy tutorial right? How many of you are running to your local wine shop and begging for wine crates now?