I feel like I’m constantly shouting safety messages at you. But, I can’t stress enough how important it is to wear hearing protection when you are exposed to loud noises. But, did you know that the noise doesn’t even have to be super loud? Exposure to higher levels for an extended period of time can also cause hearing loss.
Here is an infographic from 3M that shows common household noises that may be harming your hearing:
I have a pair of 3M Tekk ear muffs that I use when sawing wood and using my power tools. But, Pretty Handsome Guy doesn’t have a pair. He
isn’t allowed doesn’t use my tools very much, but he does do most of the yard work. When he cuts the lawn he uses ear plugs. I decided it was time to upgrade his little foamies to some rockin’ headphones! Last week, I gave him a pair of Digital WorkTunes™ HearingProtector and AM/FM Stereo Radio ear muffs. He was thrilled to try out something that allowed him to rock out while he was chopping blades.
That’s right, not only are they hearing protection, but they double as headphones! RAD DUDE! And just when you start to poo-poo these as only being AM/FM radio receivers, take a look at that cord!
That’s for your iPod, iPhone or other mp3 player. Suh-weet!
I gave them to Pretty Handsome Guy to try (an early Father’s Day present) and I think he liked them, but I’ll let him tell you about them:
“First, let me just say these would have really come in handy years ago when as a teenager I would cut lawns for money all while playing my Walkman cassette player (remember those?) at full blast so I could hear it over the lawn mower. So, I was excited to try a solution that allows me to listen to music, podcasts, whatever without sacrificing my hearing any further.
- Requires 2 AA batteries (not included)
- Easy to figure out – I love a product where I can safely ignore the instructions and these fit that bill.
- Seem to be effective at blocking the outside sound. I experimented with the volume at consistent levels with and without the lawn mower going and I didn’t feel like I needed to “crank it up” once the mower was on.
- FM reception was pretty good but did cut out a few times. We have a lot of trees so maybe that was the issue but it did cut out a few times.
- Love that you can plug in an iPod – especially in football season being able to get a game from my ESPN app into headphones is awesome.
Please excuse me while I rock out to a little heavy metal!