Front Door Dilemma

Our plum colored front door has served our home well for over 5 years. Actually, I can’t take credit for the color choice. The previous owner chose the color, but luckily she and I had similar taste. I know I told you that we used to live across the street from our current house. But, did I ever tell you that we both painted our powder rooms at the same time? We saw each other on Monday and were shocked to learn that not only had we both been painting our powder rooms over the weekend, but that we had chosen the same color!

Time has passed, and I’m yearning for a brighter and cheerier front door. A door that makes people rubber neck!

This year, I’ve been obsessed by colorful front doors. Last year I wrote an entire post on colorful front doors. It’s true, when I pass a house with a colorful front door I get a little whiplash. I think it’s time that I tame this obsession and repaint our front door. Don’t you think?!

I have a few colors in mind, but I’m curious what your thoughts are. So, I put together a little paint preview of my front door so you can help me decide ;-).

Here is the current color (plum):

Okay, it’s time for you to vote! Let me know your favorites.

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading questionnaire tool.

Comments

1. i think the red looks best with the rest of the colors in your house while still being bright and fun. the blue/gray also matches well, but doesnt stand out as much.

2. beverly says:

In 1970, a college friend re-vamped a very tired home and one one the most dramatic things she did after painting the exterior of the home and trim the same colors as yours was to paint the front door a high gloss lemon yellow. Passersby were literally slamming on brakes in the middle of their street. Soon after, several other front doors in our town bore the same bold color – but somehow without the same degree of panache. I think they failed to see that it was more than the door color — it was also the new planters on either side overflowing with gorgeous red geraniums and variegated ivy. Whatever you do, do it with style and if you don’t like it, choose another color.

3. I like the yellow or green color. You know me and green;) I’ve often said I want to switch my front door color, but there isn’t a color that I have found yet that I like better. I can’t wait to see what you choose.
    xo Jenna

4. Well, I answered in your survey, but wanted to comment also. I love the purple, my favorite color, but you’re right, it doesn’t show up at all from the street. I’m thinking a green that would mimic the patina that your copper awning will eventually get. But if we have to stick with your choices, I like the cobalt. ;)

5. I am sure you can wikepedia, however it is my understanding that a red door will bring prosperity and good fortune to those that enter threw it. We have had a red door and are doing a-ok!

6. LOVE the aqua with the rest of your exterior!!! Red is so overdone for front doors. The cobalt and pale blue/grey are lovely too. I think that the yellow looks too trendy.

7. Red!!! Overdone or not, it looks great with gray of the exterior and is classy and they say “auspicious” in Feng Shui. Dont worry about trends, look at the color wheel. I would pick yellow as a second choice

8. Panagiota says:

I think the same color with the windows. (white)

9. Brittany I voted tangerine – closer to the red but more orangey. It will definitely pop against the greyish siding and so on trend with current colors. Good luck, can’t wait to see the final decision.

10. The door looks great with red or copper color that matches the new roof/awning where Barney was. Otherwise the other colors look funny with that bright roof, even though it will fade/change over time.

11. I voted for red – it gives a great pop of color and compliments your house better than the other colors (in my humble, non-professional opinion…..)

12. How fun! I vote for an orange (like Jaime Costigilio) – would look great with your siding color, not as traditional as red, but would still pop. Also would look good with copper roof and Japanese maple. Good luck!

13. I agree with Sheila on something that will match your copper awning. If we have to go with the color choices above I vote for blue/gray.

14. We have a house in our neighborhood that has a bright yellow door and trim. Everyone knows it as the “Highlighter” House!!!!!!!!!

15. I think a red that has more of an orangey/umber/terra cotta undertone would look fabulous, esp. with your copper awning. Example: Benjamin Moore Moroccan Red 1309 http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/colors/front-door-color#slide-3

• I agree with Kathy, especially since this is the color of the little roof on top of the garage sideway… It would match nicely and it also would contrast lovely with the tree in front.

• I agree with the above. I voted for the red, but I like the idea of Benjamin Moore Gold Rush.

16. Brittany – have you seen my front door?

Can you guess what color I voted for? I’m totally with you on a fun colored front door!

Becky B.
    Organizing Made Fun

17. Amber Eames says:

I really like the cobalt. It’s definitely an eye catching colour and contrasts nicely with the copper awning and all the lush green in your yard. :)

18. I’m partial to the aqua plus when the copper roof gets it’s wonderful patina, it will probably blend well.

19. I hate to be so traditional, but I voted red! I liked the way it popped. Liked the yellow and aqua, too.

20. Coastal Femme says:

Lemon really pops and isn’t as common as red.

21. I voted aqua. But I love aqua and paint everything that color so I’m biased!

22. I voted for chartreuse. Fun!! Can’t wait to see what you pick. For the record, I think the plum was a neat choice too but you’re right, it doesn’t necessarily “pop” . :)

23. Kimberly says:

I like chartreuse. Darn you Pretty Handy girl. I had been set on stripping and staining my wood door and stenciling over it in black. Now I am thinking or something BRIGHTER. Why do you plant these ideas in my head?

24. Love this project, since I’ve been contemplating my own front and back doors for a while. That back door is getting replaced, and when it does I want a big bright color on there. I was leaning between a dark yellow or lime green myself! Can’t wait to see how yours turns out.

25. Rusty Weston says:

The plum-colored front door seems perfect for your home, Brittany! Great survey & post …

26. Christie says:

I love the lemon! It’s a warm and happy color worthy of “rubber neckers” and “welcome homes”.

27. Def the Lemon!!