How to Patch Spots in Your Grass (The Easy Way)

Welcome back to the Spring Olympic events. We are here in Handy Stadium which is home to numerous sporting events including: football, soccer, 25 yard dash, off-road cycling and you can’t forget father/son wrestling.

As you can see, we have yards and yards of pristinely manicured blades of grass.

Wait a cotton pickin’ minute, is that a….

…no it can’t be…

OH MY GOODNESS! It’s a bald spot!!!

Quick! Call in the reinforcements. A bald patch has been spotted on the field. This calls for some quick thinking and some professional help.

Maintaining the lawn in our stadium is a very important job. If a bald spot is left for two long it will attract the work of two mischievous boys with sticks and water who like to make a small spot into a gaping mud hole!

In all seriousness, when I was in Portland at Pennington Grass Seed, they introduced us to One Step Complete.

This is a product specifically created to help produce new grass effortlessly and with quick and lush results. The cool thing about this product is that it uses Smart Seed (genetically engineered to be 80% thicker with half the water), fertilizer and mulch all-in-one. Plus, the grass seeds are coated with Penkote which is a coating that protects the seed from disease.

To patch a hole in your lawn, you will need:

• Pennington 1 Step Complete (Choose your variety: Dense Shade, Sun & Shade, or Tall Fescue)
  • Rake or tiller
  • Gloves
  • Compost or amended soil (if you have very poor soil)
  • Water
  • Helper (optional)

Here are the steps to repairing your “VIP” lawn. I asked my five year old son gardener to demonstrate for you:

1. Remove any leaves or debris. Rake or till the soil to loosen the top layer.

2. If you have extremely poor non-draining soil (Southern Red Clay!) you’d be wise to add a little compost or amended soil. Then till it slightly into the ground. (If your soil is okay, you can skip this step because the One Step Complete has the mulch built right into the mixture.)

3. Spread the grass seed mixture 1/8″ thick onto the tilled soil.

4. Water the seed mixture thoroughly. Check the seed daily and maintain the moisture. If the mulch appears light green, add more water.

5. In a week to two you should start to see some little stubbly sprouts coming up. Continue to water until your grass has established and sets down roots.

As the grass continues to grow the mulch will start to break up and work its way down around the base of the grass.

Before long, your repair patch will blend in with your existing grass.

And you’ll have a lush spot-free lawn again. The 1 Step Complete worked so well, I had to really search for the new grass so I could take an after picture.

Here is a close up of the patched grass. You can barely make out the thinner juvenile grass blades.

And now, let the games begin!

Disclosure: Pennington Seed, Inc. and their parent company Central Garden & Pet partnered with bloggers such as me to help educate us all about grass seed. As part of this program, I received compensation and was hosted by the company for a kickoff event. They did not tell me what to what to say about the use of the products. Central Garden & Pet believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Central Garden & Pet’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.

Comments

1. Sarah Delacueva says:

RE the first question: Our yard is mostly for lawn games, feeding of neighborhood rabbits, and for my husband to complain about mowing.

Our yard is in pretty rough shape, so I am very interested in the One Step Complete you described above! Thanks.

2. Sarah Delacueva says:

Re the second question: Yes, I follow you on Pinterest.

3. Sarah Delacueva says:

Re the third question: I watched the video. It’s nicely done. :-)

4. We mostly just admire our lawn, since we have no kids – and it’s hurting pretty bad this year, so could use this product!

5. I follow you on G+

6. I watched the Pennington video.

7. Our lawn is also used as a playground, baseball field, and general running around and craziness field, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Thanks for this tutorial – we have some bald spots and this would be the perfect product to fill them in!

8. Dawn Grady says:

Our 2 little ones stay very busy in our yard- they love to play outside! Thanks- Dawn

9. Dawn Grady says:

I follow you on twitter!

10. Dawn Grady says:

I watched the video

11. Dawn Grady says:

I retweeted this!

12. LindaSonia says:

My lawn is purely for admiring – when it is in ad admiring state that is… This one-step program sounds like a good way to keep it that way! Thanks for the heads up!

13. LindaSonia says:

I follow you on Google Reader!

14. LindaSonia says:

I watched the video !!

15. Hi Brittany! I would LIKE to use our lawn for entertaining in the summer, but at the moment the lawn is a wreck! This stuff sounds like just what I need. =)

16. Let’s see….I just started following you on pinterest (akapertyfultings), already follow you on Facebook (don’t want to leave my full name), and already follow you on twitter (akapertyfultings). =)

17. Just watched the 30 second video…..wow, what a rip off from the “other” brand. Wait till I tell my hubby! =)

18. Andrea Czarnecki says:

My hubby and Ihave been growing grass since last year, obviously we didn’t use the right kind because there are patches EVERYWHERE! Our kidlets love playing in the mud but we’d definately prefer grass wrestling! :-)

19. Andrea Czarnecki says:

I watched the Pennington you tube video

20. Andrea Czarnecki says:

I follow you on facebook!

21. We use our lawn for looks, mostly. When the grandbaby starts walking and running, we’re going to use it for play, too!

22. Yep, admiring it. We did basically the same thing a couple of weeks ago to our lawn, but we haven’t seen anything come up, yet. We didn’t use Pennington Seed we used scott lawn kentucky blue, hmmm. Maybe we should re-try.

23. I follow via facebook (https://www.facebook.com/nancyscorner).

24. We use our lawn out back to picnic,camp out, and just have fun with the kids.

25. Our lawn is definitely not just for looking at. We have five kids and love to play outside!

26. I follow you on twitter :)

27. Our (back) lawn is where we spend our outdoor time. We hang out there with the dogs, we garden in raised beds and picnic on the patio. When we moved into our neglected house, the back yard was a jungle of weed trees, brambles, sticker vines, and wild grape vine, so I am very proud that we HAVE a grass lawn now. I just like sitting in an Adirondack chair, looking at my “back forty.”

28. Hi, Brittany

Your lawn looks great!

Vanessa

29. We do everything on our lawn! Play, use the slip-n-slide, have picnics, you name it!

30. I follow you on Pinterest :)

31. I like you on FB :)

32. Watched the video too!

33. We use our yard for a baseball field most often. Bare spots where the bases are?? Why YES there are!

34. I stalk you on facebook, pinterest, twitter, etc, etc.

35. I watched the video!

36. great how to! thanks for sharing the video too. i cant wait to repair some of our holes. our dogs manage to tear up our grass pretty well after running around like wild animals on it all day.

37. deb mathenia says:

Thank-you for the simple how to! Our yard is a ‘poster child’ for this! I do like Pennington products, too! Our Yorkies are always trolling for moles!

38. Our lawn is mostly used for a spot for our dog to lay. It’s also home to a small raised garden. And since our house is not even two years old, we have LOTS of bare spots!

39. I follow you on Pinterest and Google+

40. I don’t have a lawn right now. *GASP* It’s true. It’s sad. I want a lawn. So I can live a “Lawn Life” again.

41. Our yard is used by our 3 girls for frisbee, cartwheels, dancing and whatever other activities they dream up. In addition to the girls, the yard gets used alot by our dog!! This year, the lawn is in need of some help so it would be great to win this!!

42. els manning says:

Our lawn is in cold to hot in a day Utah. we have a ten year old and a five year old i have all day. And on the weekend i have one more ( a three year old). I also own numerous cats and 2 dogs. And i babysit my daughters 3 dogs. While she is at work. Between said dogs and kids my lawn could use some tlc on the bare spots! So could use this awesome give a way! :)

43. els manning says:

follow you on interest, get your blog up dates via yahoo, and follow on face book… oh my sounds unhealthy!

44. Right now ours is mostly just an ant farm. :( I’d LOVE to have some lush green lawn for my kiddos to play on and not be embarrassed to invite people over for backyard bbq’s!

Aloha,
    Charlie

45. I tweeted!

Aloha,
    Charlie

46. We use our front AND back yard every day for racing, croquet, water slide in the summer, tether tennis, soccer, baseball, you name it. I am always attempting to patch our bald spots. I would love to try this! Thanks

47. I watched the video – how do they get that turf-looking lawn?!

48. I watched the video. :)

Aloha,
    Charlie

49. I follow you everywhere, girl. ;)

Aloha,
    Charlie

50. DRTVrMoi says:

Our lawn is my husband’s and dog’s domain. Those two spend every sunny day in the yard. Hubby tends to the grass, the dog romps and I watch them from the window. It’s the best show in town.

51. DRTVrMoi says:

I follow you on Facebook & Pinterest

52. DRTVrMoi says:

I watched the video on youTube

53. I watched the video. Working hard trying to get my grass back after the intense heat killed most of it last year. huge brown spots of dead grass.

54. This looks like the perfect product!
    Ttanks. For the chance!

55. Natalie says:

Watched the video!

56. Natalie says:

Left a comment on FB…we really needed this post. We have a 3′x3′ dirt square in our backyard after we took out a raised bed.

57. Natalie says:

We mostly use our yard as a playground for our 19 month old son. He likes to run around like a little mad man!

58. Stephanie says:

We use our lawn for playing and spending time with the family. But the most use comes from my 8 year old son playing soccer on it!

59. Stephanie says:

Pinterest follower

60. Stephanie says:

I like you on FB (Stephanie B.H.)

61. Stephanie says:

Google+ follower (stephanie huddleston)

62. Stephanie says:

I watched the video

63. Our lawn is used for all sorts of things….particularly for our dog to do his business, which is why we have a TON of holes that need repaired! We also have 4 children 7 and under so it’s seeing a lot of regular action!

64. I follow you on Pinterest too!

65. Belinda says:

who won? or is it not over yet?

66. I admire it but we need a lawn mower LOL

Kiddos love playing on it

67. Watched the Video

68. I tweeted! @sassylemonade

69. I follow you on Twitter, FB, and Pinterest

70. I lust for that grass. LUST.

What do I use my yard for right now?

1) Maintaining a ready example of NC Truf Grass weeds in case the ag office ever needs new pictures;
    2) A vole hunting ground;
    3) a bunny clover field.

71. Cindy S. says:

We enjoy summer evenings out on the back lawn, watching our beagles chasing each other and “play-fighting.” It also gets a lot of use as we trudge out to our big vegetable garden and to the controls for the irrigation pump. We have some particularly bad bald spots that I’ve been trying to find a solution for—thanks for the post and the opportunity to win!!!

72. Amanda Heady says:

Our lawn gets a lot of use by our daughter and all the kids in the neighborhood. It so needs some help. I follow you on Facebook, Google, and Pintrest! Thanks for the giveaway!!!

73. Cindy S. says:

Watched the video!

74. My yard is a playground for two toddlers and a labrador retriever. It needs help!

75. Cindy S. says:

I follow you on facebook, Pinterest, and through emailed blog posts!!!

76. Lacey Werner says:

Thanks so much for this info!! I have a couple of spots in my yard that I have tried tons of different products on and nothing has worked! I’m excited to try this! My yard is definately my therapy. I am a nurse on a critical care floor and at times am faced with death in a regular basis. Growing my flowers, veggies, herbs and seeing my green grass is my way of finding peace in what I do and finally taking that deep breath I need after a hard week. Thanks again for your helpful (and entertaining) information!! :)

77. I would need so much of this in my yard!! haha Something to add to the long list of things to do :) Thank you!

78. HELP. Have used REBELS IV for years. No longer available , Pennington now owns. Used REBELS (mixture last year) . I put 2 1/2 loads of top soil in my yard PLUS new grass seed . Thought I had brown patch. TRUGREEN sprayed. I requested a do over, They told me then I didn’t have brown patch BUT more than 1/2 of my front yard (ONLY) dried up and DIED.. Could there have been a fungus in the soil I acquired or just the long drought we had in NC. I tried to water , as always, but this isperplexing. Any suggestions ? Thanks

79. watched video on you tube

80. Marabeth Robertson says:

Watched the video! My husband loves the lawn and loves to mow–unfulfilled desire to be a farmer!

1. [...] How to Patch Spots in Your Grass (The Easy Way) [...]