Introducing Pretty Handy Dog

I know you all thought I was going to be posting about felt roses today. Well, I promise, I’ll get the tutorial up soon. In the meantime I’ve been a little distracted.

I debated whether or not to blog about some “personal” stuff on my blog, so please let me know if you want me to stick to the “handy” stuff and I promise to be a good listener.

Those of you that know me personally know that we had to say goodbye to our australian shepherd in May. She was our baby before we had children and lived with us 11 of her 15 years.

We missed her dearly but couldn’t think about getting another dog until our hearts healed a little.

Buddy meet my readers. Everyone, meet Buddy.

Buddy is a rescue who was found wandering and a vet picked him up after he observed some kids being mean to him (I can’t even tell you more because it just breaks my heart.) He lived with the vet for a while and was very helpful to them. He was a blood donor for some very sick dogs. He also saved his kennel mate, Tumbles on more than one occasion.  When Tumbles mischieviously got into the goat pen and got cornered by the goats, Buddy put himself between Tumbles and the goat while the vet techs rescued Tumbles.

Buddy was brought home as a foster dog by a sweet woman named Carol. Carol has fostered him for over a year, but knew that he would be so much happier with a family that had children. She posted his profile on Craig’s List and I happened to find her post.

Buddy arrived yesterday and we are all loving on him and trying to help him not be so sad about being away from his foster mom, Carol.

Wish us luck this week as he acclimates to life in the Pretty Handy Household.

By the way, if you are looking for a new pet, please consider Petfinder.com. They have a fairly extensive list of rescue, foster, and shelter animals.

Until next time, I’m off to teach Pretty Handy Dog how to use a hammer.

Comments

1. Beverly @ The Buzz says:

Congrats to you and Buddy. You're both very lucky to have found each other. Please share personal things on your blog. It makes you seem more of a real person, instead of just a machine cranking out projects. Like some blogs I could name, but won't. ;-)

2. The Painted Cottage says:

Oh my! What a cutie! :) Rescue doggies are the BEST! Can't wait to hear how he acclimates into the Pretty Handy household! Please keep us updated! :)

- Lauren

3. bless your heart i have tears is always so heart warming to read about a rescued animal..best of luck to all of you and looking forward to the progression of life as a rescued dog owner!

4. Carmen at Primcats says:

Congrats on your new family member!!! Buddy is beautiful and will I'm sure be very happy in his new forever home.

Carmen and the Primcats

5. Buddy seems like a sweetie and I hope everything goes well for your family and Buddy as you get to know each other. Doesn't it amaze you that anyone can be cruel to animals? I am glad you didn't go into details about the kids and their treatment of Buddy because I can't bear to hear about things like that. You are a kind hearted person and Buddy is lucky to have you.

6. Penny Pickles says:

Buddy looks like our Cyd – if he's anything like Cyd – you'll have years of joy with this additional child! Congratulations and yeah for rescue dogs – the best way to go IMO!

7. Buddy sounds like an amazing dog that will make your family very happy. We just lost our 15 yr old cat, Sam, and just found a new cat, Smokey, on Petfinder.com. Though nothing can replace your old pet, there is something very healing about getting and loving a new pet.

8. Oh he is so cute. He sounds like a smart dog….he may just learn how to use a hammer ;)

Welcome Buddy!! <3

9. Erin @ Two Story Cottage says:

Buddy is a cutie! Our sweet dog K.C. is a Petfinder gal. She is 14 (almost 15) now and she is a fantastic dog. Rescues are the best!! So glad you shared. :)

10. Erin@likegrandmas says:

I am sorry about your girl Mocha, but how fortunate for you all and Buddy to find each other, YAY!!

11. Buddy sounds like quite a hero! Congratulations on finding each other! And don't fear posting personal stuff- it's always good to see the heart behind the projects. :)

12. Thank you so much for encouraging your readers to consider rescue dogs. The current economy in this country has created so many hardships for families and this downturn has affected family pets as well, as people lose their homes and their jobs they are sometimes forced to give up their beloved pets.

Petfinder is an excellent resource to find the perfect pet and is very easy to use. It lists hundreds of reputable rescue organizations with animals that have been vetted, temperament-tested and socialized.

As a rescue organization member and the mom of a former mill dog I can tell you that you will never find a better, more loving pet, and in the process you may be literally saving the life of an animal who wants nothing more than to join your family.

13. Wow! Buddy is the sweetest! I am sure he will always love his foster mommy, Carol. And open up that enourmous heart that animals have, and melt it right in with your family. :) He is a very lucky dog to have you. I can see him as your new assistant -that is when he isn't playing with the kiddos!

14. Linda@Coastal Charm says:

How sweet of you to take this dog into your warm home:)

Blessings,
    Linda

15. he will soon find out what a lucky dog he is to be with your family. Congrats on the new dog-baby!

16. Proper Prim says:

What a handsome guy… such a touching story, so glad you posted it.

I love a happy ending. I pray he will fill a the hole in your hearts and bring you much joy.

Would love to hear more, please post away.

Hugs, Deb

17. Look at that face!!!! I can hardly stand it! I just want to snuggle up to him :) What a lucky boy to have found such a loving home.

18. He is adorable!!!! We are in the middle of moving and we're praying we will also be able to rescue a doggie to live with our family forever. Please post more about him as well as the personal side of your life!

19. Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal says:

Buddy is so cute! I love his sweet little face. I'm sure he'll fit right in with all the love he'll get from you all!

20. Buddy is so cute and love that little face. I'm so glad that you and Buddy found each other. Please, please write personal things as we love hearing about the woman behind the hammer!!! God bless your family (that includes Buddy).

21. I also had a dog named Mocha! She lived with me for 11 years. Bless you for taking in a rescue – and I wish you luck adapting him to your household

22. Sheri@childmade.com says:

Who wouldn't want to hear that wonderful story??!! I mean not the sad part — it's always hard losing our fur-babies. But congrats! I have a rescue dog now — always have, always will. I had an Aussie for years that was found along the highway with her litter mates. My current is rescue is a border collie and is absolutely the best. dog. ever.

He has such a sweet face! I think you'll have many happy years together. Congrats!

23. Sounds like Buddy found the right home! Enjoy loving him… you are all lucky to have each other! We are still acclimating ourselves with our first ever family dog, Chloe, a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She has been with us 5 of her 7 months of life :) and I already love her so immensely I can't bare the thought of one day losing her… I can't imagine what is was like after having Mocha for 11 years. Hopefully Buddy will bring you new joy!

24. Eightymillion says:

Congrats on the rescue dog! When I lost my shepherd of 11 yrs I thought my life was over. I had just lot my Rott the yr prior. I said no more dogs. My friend convinced me one week later to commit to a puppy that was just born, so I did. He helped the healing process. I now have three, two of them rescue dogs. God Bless you and your family.

And yes, the personal stuff is good. We are only human and it's good to show that. Please keep us updated on the new addition. And thank you for sharing!

25. What a sweet story. I wish your family and Buddy the best of life together. We recently got a chocolate lab also from a listing on Craigs List. She is 1 1/2 and had already lived in two homes. Her first family had to move out of state and sadly could not take her with them so she was given to a friend of theirs. She was more than this family could handle so now she is with us, her 3rd and FINAL home. We are so happy to have her. She is adjusting well with the exception of separation anxiety. We learned of this problem after she ate several of our sofa pillows. I am constantly amazed at how smart she is and how quickly she learns. She is home now.

26. Irina@CanDoGal says:

Aw, I love this post. It's really touching. What a great looking dog and he's lucky to have crossed paths with you.

27. Pretty Handy Girl,
    Buddy is beautiful!!! I bet he will perk those ears up pretty soon. We rescued a border collie/collie from the Forsyth County Anumal Shelter (Winston-Salem, NC in the spring of 2006. He is a great love and is sacked out on the white slip covered sofa. Of course I put a blanket on it just for him and 2 of 3 dog siblings. He gives us the look if the little four legs can sit on the furniture why can't he. So now we do-it all washes, besides I wouldn't have it anyother way. Our family knows how important it is to have these four legged babies in our hearts. If you ever have a desire to find another friend for Buddy please check out Carolina Poodle Rescue. org. They have more breeds than poodles. My family has volunteered helping with cleaning and feeding the dogs to playing with puppies and helping the seniors go out to play too. We are off this weekend to have a "work weekend". Please check it out and if not give me a holler if you are ever near Kernersville, maybe our boys could meet. We come to Durham to visit friends quite often.

Always, Teresa T.

28. Annemarijne says:

I have been following your blogs for a while, but never commented until now! Buddy is truly adorable! He is a very lucky dog.
    We rescued a puppy somebody wanted to dump on the street because she wasnt a pedigree and very ill. Now the best dog we could have ever imagined together with our Rott.
    Bless you and your family!

29. He is gorgeous! We also lost our Aussie that we had before kids in July of 09. It was the worst day of our lives and we still aren't the same. We now have 2 Aussies and a rescued Border Collie (we had him before Duke died). They are the best dogs! Good luck with Buddy, he sounds awesome!

30. Best of luck to you! I am sure your two boys will turn Buddy's frown upside down :D! My husband and I adopted a dog one month after we got married. We have no children, but Jack (our dog) is our life. Jack and Buddy look a lot a like with their cute little faces, and long hair. My heart broke when reading your store about Buddy, he surely is a special dog. I wish your family and your newest family member all the best!

31. I think your new rescue dog is adorable! I rescued a pit bull 3 months ago when our original pit died from cancer. Rona was my baby for 8 wonderful year and now we added another girl…Kinze to our family! Thank you for getting a rescue dog and not from a breeder! :) They need us!

32. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

This post makes me so sad and SO happy at the same time! I'm so glad Buddy found his way to your family! I just want to reach through the screen and give you all a big hug!

33. Megan {Honey We're Home} says:

We lost two of our dog family members too and it is heartbreaking. Still miss them so much. I'm so happy that you have opened your hearts to your new family member! What a blessing!! Enjoy!

1. [...] Me: “Oh, it is just Buddy..” [...]

2. [...] realized recently that I haven’t given any updates on our adoption of Pretty Handy Dog (aka Buddy.) I’m happy to say that Buddy has been with us for a year and a half now, and he [...]

3. [...] Thank you so much to Katie & Jon for that great tutorial. That doggy dining station is adorable! I might be making one of those soon for Pretty Handy Dog. [...]

4. [...] summer, when riding to the Haven Conference with Brittany {Pretty Handy Girl},  we got to chatting about her dog, Buddy, who came to her via Craig’s List.   He had been [...]

5. [...] to dig and scratch, you might want to steer clear of cork flooring. We never had any problems with Buddy, so I figured we were [...]