Goodwill Pants Make a Cute Bucket Liner

Hidey-ho my bloggios. I’m in a giddy mood this morning. The kiddos are at the in-laws to spend a day of fun. LOVE my in-laws! So Pretty Handsome Guy and I will have our own day of fun.

Did you see that cute bucket of bath and body love above? (Who am I kidding, how could you miss that gigantic picture.) Today I’ll show you how to make the liner.

So, I started this post and wrote “How to Make a Pants Liner” in the title field until I realized that pants liner is only one letter away from panty liner. {snicker, giggle} Not good.

The liner started out in a previous life as a pair of pants:

Not my pants, I found them at Goodwill. I liked the print and had plans to use the fabric for a sweater embellishment, but then I saw how nicely the purple color looked next to my newly painted bucket and inspiration hit.

Start by turning the pants inside out.

Set the foot of the pants inside your bucket. And roll the waist outside the bucket. Move the pants up and down on the bucket until you have a snug fit.
Mark the outside edge of the pants with a disappearing fabric marker or an old sliver of soap. Make sure you allow an extra inch to roll under when you sew it.
Remove the pants from the pail, take a big breath and cut the pants. Yes, I cringe at cutting up pieces of clothing. One day I hope to overcome my phobia.

Fold over the cut edge twice and sew it.

Set the pant leg into the bucket again and roll the finished edge over the bucket until you are happy with how much cuff shows. Then use a pin to mark where the bottom of the bucket is.

Remove your pants liner {snicker, snicker, giggle. I almost said panty liner again.} And use some more pins to mark a straight line across the leg.

Take another breath and cut just below the pins on the leg. Remember to allow at least 1/2″ seam allowance.

Turn the pants inside out (right sides together) and stitch the bottom closed.

Slip the liner back onto your bucket…

…and smooth out the bottom of the liner into your bucket.

That’s it. You are done. Now fill up your bucket with a few of your favorite things.

The possibilities for this project are endless. How cute would a pair of old jeans look as a liner? Or some funky striped pants. So get thee to Goodwill ASAP and scour those pant racks. Size large or bigger works the best.

Oh and while you are there look for 100% wool sweaters to felt. I’ll have a tutorial for making these cute roses coming soon.

Never Die Roses

Sharing also at:
Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

1. stephaniegiese says:

lo,, you are too funny. The pants-y liner looks really cute & I'm totally going to make those roses.

2. what a great idea! Love the liner and the flowers are awesome!

3. How cute and clever! I don't often comment, but I wanted you to know that I ALWAYS enjoy the posts that I read and get so much out of your ideas.

4. Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek says:

That's adorable! They match perfectly!

5. That is so pretty! You did a nice job filling the bucket too… when I try to do that it just looks like "buncha crap in a bucket."

6. Beautiful and easy–that's what I like and need. I, too, have the problem with making that first cut into fabric. Let me know if you find a cure;-}

7. My Primitive Creations by Tonya says:

Now that is one Creatively awesome creation… I absolutely love it.. Could be used in a basket or bowl too!
    Thanks for sharing!!

Have Great Sunday!!

Blessings
    Tonya

8. Dinner For One says:

Oh, you're too funny…loved the outcome of this project.

9. Me N My Thrifty Ideas says:

You're so awesome!

10. Amy of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie says:

That fabric made the perfect liner! What a great gift basket!! Thanks for linking!

11. Wow what a cute idea! That fabric matched perfectly!

12. I love the liner you made! What an awesome way to up cycle pants from Good Will.

13. Heather @ The Black's Best says:

Never would have thought of this! Thanks for the tutorial so I can copy you!

14. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

Love the liner and great tutorial. Thanks so much for linking up this week.

15. What a great idea.

16. How cute!! What a great idea for a guest room too! This is an adorable gift idea too!!

Thanks for joining in and linking up to A Design Story this week… hope you will link up again!

Lindsay @ A Design Story

17. casserole says:

Brilliant!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

–Anne

1. [...] Goodwill pants that only cost $2.49: To make this: The liner was super easy to make, tutorial HERE. AND then I filled it will some bath goodies for a special [...]

2. [...] Gift Bucket Liner from Goodwill Pants [...]