Rustic Christmas Decorating

“SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN’ TO TOWN!” Cover your ears because a very tone deaf woman (myself) was belting out the Christmas songs this weekend. With Thanksgiving behind us, I released the restraints and broke out the Christmas décor. The kids are loving it and counting down the days until old St. Nick comes down our chimney!
Christmas Morning 2009 – Magic North Pole Snow Footprints (Baking Soda y’all!)
As I told you the other day, I wanted to create a rustic country theme this year in our living room. So, without anymore restraints….here it is!
I spy with my own two eyes, a Pottery Barn Inspired Lantern from the Habitat ReStore!
I told you I had a plan for those old pool balls!
Do you think I achieved my goal? Rustic? Country?
Goal or not, I think I like it.
Although it took me four days of noodling to decide I have to let it be.
I can’t tell you how long I’ve been looking for an affordable cake stand.
Thieve’s market in Raleigh had THREE! Count them…1…2…3!
Of course I only bought one, so if you need one, head on over there.
Yeah, Baby! You know I couldn’t pass up those rusty sleigh bells at SuzAnna’s!
An old cheese grater (you can’t see it but it has a candle inside.)
An old sports stop clock and one of two large acorn decorations.
I couldn’t resist them, after all Raleigh IS the City of Oaks.
Another PB Inspired Lantern. Love these $5 finds!
Each year I try to think of a new and creative way to display all our holiday cards.
This year I put together two shutters to make a screen.
The tutorial is HERE!

That concludes the living room tour. If you aren’t bored to death,
I’ll show you a small vignette I have in our kitchen on top of the pie safe.
Isn’t she adorable? That little angel found her way into my shopping bag at SuzAnna’s.
I hope you all have a fabulous holiday season!

Now cover your ears again as I sing to Santa Baby (because I’m no Eartha Kitt!)

Comments

1. Sixty-Fifth Avenue says:

your mantel is fabulous! And I love the pictures of santas footprints, cute idea!

2. Caitlin Campbell says:

This is so rustic and sophisticated all at the same time! I love it!

3. Funky Junk Interiors says:

Ahaaa! And there it is in all it's wonderfully rustic glory!

Wow, you really went to town with this Christmas thing! I am just adoring that stick type treatment you have by the stockings, what a neat effect!

Lovely touches! You've inspired me to keep going! And here I was just going to quit and rest… :)

Donna

4. Erin @ Two Story Cottage says:

I'm with Donna – I like your garland! Great job with your decorating! I love it. I really like the clock & angel too. Good finds!

5. Love it! Lovin' the rusty stars!! :)

6. Christie, Describe Happy says:

Oh yes, beautiful rustic country — you nailed it! I love how you were able to work in a cheese grater and pool balls. Now that's creativity, and they look like they are meant to be there :)

7. LOVE IT ALL! Woohoo! Especially the shout out for SuzAnna's! Hope you can make it to our open house Thursday night! We have a ton of fun and lots of shopping.!

8. Black Cat Ranch says:

Wonderful! I'm going for that rustic theme this year, too, so it's nice to get some ideas. I love the cut-out tree on the pie safe!

9. It looks so great! I just love the mantel and your theme is perfect! Love the shutters for a picture/card holder! Great idea!!

10. What a sweet rustic, country mantel! Yours is the second wooden gate I've seen today. Love it! :-) ~ Sue

11. Southern Fried Gal says:

Cute! You definitely achieved your goal.

12. How pretty is that! I love your rustic look and that deep color of red. Well done!

13. cindy @ cottage instincts says:

Definitely achieved your goal! Love it. Great textures, great colors…how can you go wrong with lanterns, *snicker*.

Great job!

14. Love this! Wonderful rustic Christmas!

15. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

You definitely got rustic right. Love it.

16. I love all the small touches. The lanterns filled with ornaments are my favorite and I just might have to steal that idea. It looks very rustic and very country!

17. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

Your mantel looks great. I love the rustic look. Your whole living room looks lovely. I like the ornaments in the lantern. Very cute.

18. The Writer Chic says:

I love how you display your cards — and I'm totally inspired to break out my cake stand now. I already have the trifle dish with ornaments in the firebox…but why not get the cake stand in on the party, too? Thanks!

19. Erin at Carolina Country Living says:

I think you nailed (no pun intended–ha!) the rustic country Christmas look! I'll be hauling out my Christmas stuff in the next day or so and since I do live in the country and have about as rustic a house as you can get with a log cabin, I will be drawing inspiration from your decorating. And can I say how much I love the cake stand-as-a-cloche? I have a hardly-ever-used cake stand that will be perfect as a table centerpiece. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas! :)

20. Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

It's all so fabulous! LOVE your barn door! So creative, warm, and country.

21. Grace @ Sense and Simplicity says:

Lovely – I would say you achieved your goal.

22. Marianne@Songbird says:

I think you nailed the rustic country look to a tee! And I lurve the touch of the pool balls!!

23. Elizabeth (blue clear sky) says:

Love your rustic mantel. I used stars, pinecones and rusty bells for our living room too, and love the way you used yours. The red barn door/gate is the icing on the cake! Wonderful pop of colour and texture. Love love it. I also like the other vignettes, and your pie safe is adorable.

24. The Mulberry Girl says:

I love the wreath on the red wood – and those pool balls mixed in with ornaments? Too cool!

25. You did a beautiful job here! I like the Santa foot prints in the first picture up there! We do that with cotton balls and flour for the eater Bunny!…lol Wonderful Christmas display here!

26. Beautiful!! I love some red and white Christmas! Stopped in from the Lettered Cottage -shaunna :)

27. Very, very cute, the red doors were the perfect touch and background to your wonderful mantel!! Kathysue

28. InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Brittany-

Looks like Christmas camew to your your house – love the baking soda footprints. Wish I thought of that whe my kids were little. I think you hit rustic perfectly in your decorating theme.
    My best- Diane

29. I've been trying to come up with ideas for our dining room and this just totally inspired me! I love the barn door AND the screen idea! :)

30. i'm going to be honest, I wasn't dying to see rustic decor, but yours is worth the trip! It is done so well, not too "country," really it is quite lovely! I love your touches around too! The shutter card holder-divine. Such a nice job!

31. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

You have such a fantastic home – you've done such a great job! What an inspiration!

32. Looks great! I don't have a lot of country stuff, but it always feels cozy. Really like the lanterns…great find. I miss Thieves Market…can never leave empty handed.

33. Very rustic/country!!! I love it!
    Love the wreath on the door!

34. I was trying to think of an adjective. Junkolicious? Are you a Rustifarian, like Donna? If I put down Santa's footprints will the dogs eat them and get sick? Great post as usual. Ann

35. Paige (Final Clothes-Out) says:

Okay, the pool balls are officially my favorite thing. That's brilliant!

36. Sandi (Meme) says:

You are all WAY ahead of me! I haven't even got my Christmas decorations out yet, so can't show my mantel, but I SO appreciate your sharing yours! I would love to borrow your idea with the shutters – I only have one, but will definitely use it as you did! Thanks so much! I'm going to join as your newest follower, and hope you will come visit me too! Have a great week, Sandi

37. oh my I luv how you you use the door..
    OMG such fantastic ideas :)
    Maggie

38. The DIY Show Off says:

I love rustic. Beautiful and so festive! Great job!

Roeshel

39. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality says:

I just love your rustic Christmas touches, looks so great. You've got so many interesting vignettes in every little space. So pretty & festive & of course, I love the rustic too. The red gate is perfect for Christmas!

40. Adore the unique items you have found and yes it is a great holiday look! Bravo!!

I have a $200 Giveaway from Fifi Flowers!
    Do come and enter!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

41. Julia @ Hooked on Houses says:

Everything looks so festive! Love it! Thanks for joining my party and inviting us in. :-)

42. Purnima@a creative project says:

very pretty!!

43. The mantel looks great! It's a beautiful country mantel. I love, love, love the Christmas Cards on the Shutters! If I could only think of where I could use this idea? Saving it to my file… :)
    Karen

44. Ceekay- Thinkin of Home says:

Your mantle is fantastic…you did a great job!

45. I would say that you reached your goal, everything looks fantabulous and rustic!!!
    Hugs, cindy

46. The Thriftress says:

The cheese grater as candle holder is ingenious! Thanks for the holiday tour!
    Sarah

47. Oh, please, PLEASE come decorate my house! LOVE the shutters as card holders & the pool balls.

48. elisabeth says:

You did a marvelous job and I think you accomplished your goal of country and rustic. I love the way you used your shutters.

Elisabeth @ Treasuring the Moments

49. Love, love, love the rustic mantel! Great job decorating!

50. Susan Graham says:

I just love your blog and I think your article is so awesome!! I love antiques and what a way to go green!! I think the towels would just be so adorable also. Thanks for sharing the story about how it was made. Makes it that more special! Take care, Fran.

51. Linda@Coastal Charm says:

You have so many neat ideas…love the shutters!!Thanks for coming to my OPEN HOUSE!!!!

Blessings,
    Linda

52. very merry vintage style says:

Love your mantel and lovely vintage books… lanterns… It's all beautiful! Come on over and link up to my holiday link party–love to include it! http://verymerryvintagestyle.blogspot.com/2010/12/something-old-something-new.html
    Mary

53. Nook Cranny Gifts says:

I just love your cracker tin, right up my alley. I also love how you put the balls in the lantern.
    Happy Holidays
    Michele

54. ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com says:

You definitely achieved the look you were going for!! I love the rustic door over the mantel and the shutter screen you made..genius!

55. Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea says:

You did a good job. Everything looks great.

56. buy rustic furniture says:

Wow…love the collection of photos. The interiors are so inspiring…with the right amount Indian and Western decor to be appreciated by all.Thanks for sharing the photos

Susan Graham

1. [...] you to everyone who left me such wonderful comments on my rustic Christmas décor! I may not have been able to reply to all of you, but I DID read each and every comment! And thank [...]

2. [...] In the meantime, Happy Holidays! And feel free to see how I decorated last year, aka Rustic Christmas Decor! [...]