Creating a Mulch and Stone Path

Did you know that a new heat pump, wood rot repair, and yard drainage issues will put a hefty dent in your bank account? Apparently it will also wreck your yard after all those contractors have been traipsing through it on a rainy Saturday!
That is 100% authentic Carolina red clay! Yummy! It will stain everything you own and make housekeeping a nightmare. With this mess, I had to come up with a fast and frugal solution to our mud problem.

While searching Lowe’s for some solutions, I stumbled across this landscape edging. I was very excited to see that I wouldn’t have to dig a trench to bury half of it! Instead, it comes with pegs that you nail into the ground. Suh-weet!
Materials:
Flat stones or stepping stones (cost will vary)
2 Garden Plus 20′ No Dig Landscape Edging Kits – $16 ea.
2 Extra bags of Garden Plus Edging Pegs – $4
Two different colors of mulch (I used 20 bags -10 for each color) $3 each
3′ or 4′ stick or yardstick for your width template – free
Hammer
Garden Rake
Tutorial:
Gather all your materials near your path site. Layout all your stones and walk on them to make sure they are spaced for a comfortable gait. Do you see that stick in the above picture? That was my path width template.

Use your path width template (aka stick) to keep your edging equal distance apart the entire length of your path. (You may need to put a weight on your edging or set a peg in halfway to hold the edging in place.)
After you have your path and the edging laid out, step away from it and take a look. Make any tweaks in the layout now.
To set the path, start from one end and hold the peg at an angle.
Then hammer the peg into the ground…
…until it is flush with the earth.

Set a peg every 4-6 feet and especially at the peak of any curves.
Repeat for the other side of your path.
Open a bag of mulch and spread the mulch to the top of your stones and the edging. Use the back side of your garden rake to smooth the mulch and eliminate any high or low spots.
Repeat until you have filled your entire path.
Then spread the second color mulch on the outside of your path. Don’t you just love the contrast between these two? The lighter color mulch is cypress mulch and the darker is hardwood mulch.
Walk on your stones and put some mulch, dirt or sand underneath any that wobble.
Now stand back and admire your finished path! I think my favorite stepping stone is the broken heart stone I made with two rocks.
The entire path took me just over two hours. Not bad and the bonus is that I didn’t need to go to the gym to workout that day!

Sharing this post with Centsational Girl’s Garden Link Party.

Comments

1. That's so cool! I love it!

2. Becky@Organizing Made Fun says:

Ok…now I see the reason for the mud rooms. I'm a So. Cal. girl and we don't have that mud! That's incredible…that path is going to be a life saver to your house!

3. Kim @ Second Time Furniture says:

I think it looks great!

4. I am with Becky, So Cal gal too. But what a great solution you did. It looks great, and I can't believe you did it in two hours!

5. Wow, that looks great. What a transformation.

6. I've done the edging that needs digging in. What a pain! On top of the digging needed,it tends to sink down pretty quickly. with the flat section, this looks as though it would eliminate that second problem as well. The two colors of mulch really make this stand out!

I'm going to have to steal this idea for an area we walk on too much to get grass growing.

Thanks for another great idea.

7. That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at our Strut Your Stuff Party!

8. Do you think weeds will grow through the mulch?

9. Sadly, I know that red clay firsthand (says the VA girl). It gets everywhere! How pretty your new path looks.

10. You are my hero!
    I love this idea :) I've been trying to make our front walk beautiful and I think this will be just the ticket!
    I always love everything you do.
    I'd be honored if you'd stop on by and take a look around our blog!
    -Emily

11. Kim @ Savvy Southern Style says:

That path is great. Lots of hard work went into that. I know because I do most of our yard work. Thanks so much for joining the party. I ask that you add my link in your blog. People do not know to go to the side and click on the linky parties nor do they know what party you are linked to without posting it. It just helps others to find the party. Thanks so much!

12. Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

That's really pretty and I love how easy it is compared to some of the other options. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

13. Wow, what a great solution! I love it. It looks nice and neat as well. I'm all about the thrifty, low-time answers. Thanks for linking up!

14. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says:

It looks great! A GREAT solution. Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

15. Pam @ diy Design Fanatic says:

Your yard looks great! I love the flagstone. We really need a path that goes around the house up to the driveway. I like the edging you used. I am constantly raking the edge of our cypress chip path!

16. So glad I stumbled onto your side when I googled the Garden Plus no dig edging. I just purchased some and was considering taking it back because I’m just not sure, but now I’m going to try it. I need to go back and get some extra stakes. How difficult was it to uncoil it when you took it out of the box? Did you have to cut any? I am going to have to cut it, but it says a hack saw will work?

17. David Getsy says:

Bought 6 boxes of this edging the 20 foot with stakes.Found out on the outside of the box it states to have (1) 8 inch connector to join them together. Well they are not supplied why state this if not true.

18. Great solution. I’m curious though – Do you find that the mulch drifts out of the edging when it rains? I’m just wondering if it is tall enough to keep the good stuff in…

• The section that is flat doesn’t wash out too much, however there is a drain pipe that empties into the path which does carry some mulch away when it rains. If your pathway is on a slope, be prepared to refill the mulch yearly. I hope that helps ;-).

19. Bookmarking this project – thanks for the inspiration! I have to remove grass, but I want to make a little path from front door to the back gate (a short distace) but instead of mulch around the stepping stones I wan to use that terra cotta colored rock fill that you see on park paths (not sure what it’s called – not pea gravel). so excited I won’t have to dig trenches!!

• I think you are probably referring to crushed granite. I am also curious how fast the weeds start growing. I would have thought you would need to put a weed barrier down with a couple of inches of sand before laying the stones and the mulch. Anybody know for sure? I’d hate to do this project and then have the weds start growing through.

20. Gorgeous! I have been really thinking about doing this in my yard, and now I am convinced!! Thank you for sharing!