Home Office Makeover – From Dark and Dreary to Light and Dreamy

Why do we wait to remodel the rooms that we spend the most time in?

Our home office had very humble beginnings. No overhead lights meant we had to use a floor lamp and table top lights to see.

The walls were a deep burnt sienna color that didn’t bounce much of that light around.

I had a big computer armoire that was dark inside. But, worst of all, Pretty Handsome Guy and I worked together in the room with our backs to one another for 3 years!

I dreaded sitting and working in that room. As a graphic and web designer, I had no inspirations, no creative energy. And being the light obsessed person I am, I was depressed by all the darkness in the room. I took frequent breaks just to escape from the office.

I dreamed of a home office with one wall of built-in bookcases and storage and a work surface that jutted out in the middle. I tried to sell the idea to my better half, but Pretty Handsome Guy just couldn’t picture it.

As luck would have it, three months later, Sandra at Sawdust and Paper Scraps just completed my dream office in her home!

Sawdust and Paper Scraps Built-in Dream Office Come to Life

She posted the pictures on Remodelaholic. Hey Sandra, thanks for taking too long to finish it. Just kidding. But, If she had posted her pictures three months ago, our office may have looked very different.

Sometimes fate is a good thing, and in this case I am thrilled with the end result of our home office and it is all thanks to an inspiration I had when I found two of these:

$15 for a pair of solid wood doors with beautiful cherry stain on one side.
I snatched them up at a church yard sale! You can imagine the look on Pretty Handsome Guy’s face when I came home with these hanging out the back of my car. “Um, don’t we already have doors on all our doorways?”  I answered with one word, “Potential.”
We didn’t do a thing to the doors except to remove the hardware and use the hinges in other rooms of our home. The stain color was a perfect match to our existing furniture.

If you look back at some of our earlier posts you have been privy to some of the changes we made in the office.

Well, we finally put the finishing touches on the room, and I’m ready to show you the results.

New window treatments, and freshly scraped and painted ceilings.

FIVE! Yes, count them, five ceiling light fixtures.
4 can lights + 1 drum shade pendant = 5 glorious ceiling lights
where there were ZERO, ZIP, NONE before!

A corner bistro table where we can sit and have coffee.
I can meet with graphic design clients.
But, mostly so the kids can color, work on homework or
someday start a blog called MyMomIsPrettyCrazyGirl.com
Enough about those crazy kids. This is where I blog!
So, do you see my inspiration door?
Here is a hint: There is a layer of custom cut glass on top,
and a keyboard tray mounted underneath.

Plus a hole to run the cords through.

How about now? Do you see it now? The doors are our desktops.
This is where I blog, design, and work!
So open and airy.

We simply stacked the two doors on top of one another.

And bought two pedestal file cabinets from Office Depot.
(I had to cut the legs shorter on this one to accommodate for the
difference in height with the two doors stacked.)
And voila! Two desks in an “L” shape.
No more back-to-back working.
Plus, lots of natural light bouncing around.

In the corner under the two doors, is an $8 yard sale bookcase that holds my computer, back up drive, CDs, books, and more supplies. It is hidden underneath, which is a good thing, because it desperately needs a little TLC.

The doors may have been my inspiration then,
but having a view out this window brings me loads of inspiration now!

This room is so special to us. We can sit and work, talk, catch up, and the boys have a great spot in the corner to color or practice reading on Starfall.com

The color paint we used is: Benjamin Moore Aura paint in Hot Spring Stones. It is the perfect warm gray beige color (in my opinion). The rug is from Home Goods. Curtains from Overstock.com. And fabric on chair, bistro table, and bookshelf back is called Fermini Sky. The drum shade pendant was from Amazon.com.

Curious where other bloggers blog? Check out the “Where do you blog? Party”  at Centsational Girl’s site today!

Want to see more amazing Before and After Transformations? Check out the Before & After Competition on the CSI Project today.

Visit thecsiproject.com

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

I love how this room turned out! It has space for everyone in your family and is put together so beautifully. You guys did a great job. Just love the door idea and the rug is to die for. Looks awesome.

2. Higgs Happenin's says:

Looks so good. Good use of space and I love the doors. Very creative!

3. Spencer & Lorilyn Crum says:

I really like this color scheme, very soothing!

4. Something Nice and Pretty says:

Love the use of the doors…great idea and inspiration!

Rondell

5. Robin's Nesting Place says:

Beautiful office! What a great idea to use the doors for desk tops!

6. Caitlin Campbell says:

Amazing transformation! You inspired me to find a Habitat ReStore in my area. The closest one is about an hour away but I have a feeling it will be worth it.

7. Christine says:

I am so impressed with your space. The use of those great doors is ingenious. You must be so proud of how this room turned out!

Thanks for coming by to see my place too…

8. Kristy@MyPretties says:

I love your office overhaul. My office has no ceiling light fixtures either so I can totally relate to that!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you now!

9. Rebecca Todd :) says:

I LOOOOVE it!!! You have an amazing eye for design, and talent for making it come to life! Fantastic job! :)

10. The Pennington Point says:

Wow! That is a great workspace. It's going to be so nice to get your wok done in a calm, pretty, inspiring space. Lisa~

11. Paige (Final Clothes-Out) says:

This is sooooo relaxing.

I've been seeing a lot of doors-as-furniture lately. My sister-in-law has a coffee table made from one. Very cool!

12. Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

What a great makeover!! LOVE the chair. Your gray is the look I want to go for in my kitchen. :) Thanks so much for the visit today.

13. I think it looks amazing. I especially love the vinyl dandelions on the wall!

14. I LOVE the desks! What a perfect solution and so very clever. I'm going to try this and customize it for a nook I have and want to make into my craft area. Just curious, was it difficult to get the glass? And was it a fair price or more on the expensive side? Love your blog! :D

15. Great blog. I'm your newest follower.

16. Aspiring Millionaire says:

I just came across your blog and love all the things you have done. Your tutorials are awesome. I can't wait to use these when I move into my house next month. Thanks heaps.

17. gail@roomingwithgail says:

Wow! Everything is just beautiful! Great job!

18. That is fantastic! I love the look, and the creativity is flowing in your office. You go girl! Thanks for joining me, and have a wonderful weekend. Debbie

19. I especially love the chair!!

20. Debbie@Debbie-Dabble says:

This is a totally fantastic room makeover!! Just the fact that the 2 of you can work in the same room is fantastic to me. Hubby and i would be at each other's throats! LOL!!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you did with the doors!!
    Stunning idea!!

Debbie

21. modern jane says:

I love the idea for the doors! My office currently has no desk:) The rooms looks fantastic. I will be back for more DIY inspiration!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the nice comments on my kitchen renovation!

22. Green Willow Pond says:

What a beautiful office. I love the door desks and the fact that your whole family hangs out together there.

23. Great looking room Brittany.
    I just found your blog today [I'm a total newbie.. only been blogging two weeks] and I'm already a fan.
    Fabulous find with the doors.. what a bargain, and you didn't even have to paint them.
    Our own study looks more like what would have been your inspiration room [if she'd finished it earlier] but I had a similar piece of luck with our desk. Not with the top.. that's just trimmed MDF.. but I found the pedestals of an old roll top desk at an auction locally for $40.
    Had to take about 30 layers of paint off them and repaint them white but the hard work felt good, especially when I look at them and think.. 'I only paid $40 for those'
    Once again great room.. I'm off now to see what else you've posted.
    Thanks
    Jo xx

24. Ooh.. btw, I forgot to ask.. The two black flowers on the wall [they look like Alliums but I'm not sure], are they like 'wall talk' or those Benjamin Moore 'Wall Tattoos' and if so.. where did you get them ?? They look great.
    Ta.
    Jo xx

25. Gorgeous! I love antique doors and yours were a steal. What a clever use for them. Your room looks 100%more inviting and light and airy. Love the rug and the chair makeover. Nicely done. I am getting so many good ideas from you. I almost feel guilty reading more. lol Just kidding.

26. rosa @ flutterflutter says:

Great job!! Looks so good! Just found you via The Lettered Cottage. Happy New Year! Rosa

27. Your office is amazing. I want a ceiling drum shade of some sort for my office. Did you make that? It looks great!

28. I wait because I have no money to do what needs doing let alone re do anything.

29. After looking over a few of the articles on your web page,
    I really appreciate your technique of writing a
    blog. I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be
    checking back soon. Please visit my website too and let me know how you feel.

30. Hello, Neat post. There is an issue with your site in web explorer, may test this?
    IE still is the market leader and a big portion of people will leave
    out your wonderful writing due to this problem.

31. Barb Hudson (Yankoski) says:

I am a new fan as of today and love your Blog already. Just read this story about the two wooden doors and must say the results are amazing. I did a similar thing only used IKEA dressers and file cabinet and a plain piece of wood – all in the same colour – dark navy blue for a TV room/Den/ Man Cave for That Cute Guy I Married. I t was some time ago and even though it still looks fabulous, I might entertain the idea of showing him what you did and talking him into a re-do!! You have some wonderful ideas and you lay the projects out so well, I am certain I could handle a few of them. Cheers from my inner city townhouse on the west coast of Canada where it is mild and sunny. As I am currently embroiled in doing a historical maintenance record for an upcoming Strata AGM, it was pleasant to get lost for an hour on your lovely blog.

1. [...] Makeover of a Rattan Backed Chair. I hope you will check back soon as I show you some of our office renovation. Check out other wonderful yard sale finds at The Lettered Cottage – yard sale link [...]

2. [...] but very functional.  She made the butterflies out of cardstock and glued them to thumb tacks. 14. Home Office Makeover – I just adore this upholstered rattan backed chair in the home office. 15. Mantel Makeover [...]